The Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation of Sacramento, California, founded in 1920, is the oldest Greek Orthodox parish between the San Francisco Bay Area and Salt Lake City. Our Parish is the Mother Church of the Greek Orthodox parishes in Modesto, Stockton, Elk Grove, Redding, and Roseville, California, as well as Reno, Nevada. Having already built two houses of worship, the first in 1921 and then our present sanctuary and hall in 1952, we are now raising funds to build a new family center on our current site. An extremely active and large parish of more than 500 supporting families, we are part of the Metropolis of San Francisco, under His Eminence Metropolitan Gerasimos and of the Archdiocese of America under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. Below are some highlights of our over 90-year history here in the State Capitol.

 


“For as many of you as have been baptized in Christ Jesus have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” -Galatians 3:27-28


  • 1920, about 50 Greek community leaders form an Orthodox parish and buy property for a future church.
  • 1921, first full-time priest assigned to the community, and the first sanctuary begun on N Street
  • 1934, the first church consecrated and named The Annunciation
  • 1951, construction begun on the present facility at Alhambra and F Street. Formation of the first Greek Orthodox youth group.
  • 1952, Fr. Parthenios Kirmitsis begins his 15 year pastorate.
  • 1962, Annunciation obtains a second priest to serve the growing community.
  • 1963, Annunciation puts on the first Greek food festival in Sacramento, now an institution in the community.
  • 1970, Annunciation celebrates its golden anniversary as a parish.
  • 1971, education and office buildings completed.
  • 1972, the parish begins to acquire adjoining lots with the aim of buying the entire block on which the church stands.
  • 1978, the parish hires a full-time Administrative Officer to oversee daily operations.
  • 1978, Annunciation founds a senior group for members over 50.
  • 1980/81, first folk dance groups formed.
  • 1981, Fr. Demetrios Dogias begins his 24-year pastorate at the parish.
  • 1989, Annunciation begins mission parish in Roseville.
  • 1990, parish begins publishing The Orthodox Observer as a monthly magazine for its members.
  • 1995, gala 75th Anniversary of the parish and opening of the new daughter parish, St. Katherine, in Elk Grove.
  • 1998, mission in Roseville becomes a full parish, St. Anna.
  • 2001, United Youth Program and Council founded.
  • Christmas, 2004, long-time Bishop/Metropolitan of San Francisco, Anthony, passes away.
  • April, 2005, our new Metropolitan, Gerasimos, enthroned.
  • 2005, Fr. Demetrios Dogias retires from full-time ministry. Fr. James Retelas assigned as Presiding Priest.
  • 2006, Fr. Timothy Robinson assigned to the parish as Associate Priest.
  • 2011, gala 90th Anniversary of the parish.
  • 2013, 50th year of the Sacramento Greek Festival.
  • 2015, groundbreaking on The BUILD

 


Consider becoming a part of our Christian family!

Worship with us...

Fellowship with us

Rejoice with us...

Grow with us...

Our arms are open to welcome you!